Saturday, July 04, 2009

Berry Berry Cool Pie ~ Indeed!

For a quick refreshing treat you have to try this pie!!

I have to admit that when ever I see these recipes for no-bake pies, usually using cool whip and ready crust, I just shake my head and think, why bother? I figured those recipes were for the people who don't know how to cook/bake and they are not that great anyway so why waste my time. If I'm going to make a pie, I'm going to "really" make a pie. Well, I have to say, I finally get it...
I have been so busy lately, that I haven't had time to cook much, let alone bake a pie from scratch. So when I saw this recipe and knew I had all the ingredients on hand (which is another reason why I suppose so many people make these recipes), I figured what the heck.
And to my surprise, it was delicious!!!Another confession is that I even misread the instructions where it says to "freeze" it for 5 hours. I thought it said refrigerate and that's what I did and it was still delicious! I can imagine how great it would have been frozen too...

I did change a few things in the recipe. I already had a open can of sweetened condensed milk in the fridge. I used 1/3 cup in another recipe, so I used the remainder in this pie and believe me it was sweet enough so I'm glad that I used a lesser amount and I would do it again. Even my cool whip was partially used, so don't worry if you don't have a full container, it will still work with some missing!

The lemon zest and almond extract were my additions and I think they added a homemade taste to the pie, so don't leave them out if you can help it.

I hope you give this recipe a try and don't snub your nose at it like I would have done so many times. It really is, as Keebler says, "Berry Easy. Berry Cool. Berry Delicious!"



Berry Berry Cool Pie

recipe adapted from EagleBrand.com, ReadyCrust.com

1 (14-ounce) can Eagle Brand Sweetened Condensed Milk, minus 1/3 cup
1/2 teaspoon fresh lemon zest
Juice from one lemon
1/2 teaspoon pure almond extract
1 1/2 to 2 cups assorted fresh berries (I used blueberries and strawberries)
1 (8 oz.) container frozen whipped topping, thawed
1 (6 oz.) Keebler® Ready Crust ® Graham Pie Crust

Instructions
1. Mix together sweetened condensed milk, almond extract, lemon zest and lemon juice in large bowl until blended. Stir in berries. Fold in whipped topping. Spoon into crust.
2. Freeze (or Refrigerate) 5 hours or until set. If frozen, let stand 30 to 40 minutes before serving. Garnish with additional berries and mint leaves if desired.

10 comments:

Jersey Girl Cooks said...

It looks great and perfect for this time of year.

Anonymous said...

Oh wow! That looks great. Anything blueberry always catches my eye.

Sara said...

This looks like a great summer dessert, so colorful with all the berries too!

Rosa's Yummy Yums said...

A yummy pie! Perfect for the summer days!

Cheers,

Rosa

Maria said...

I love summer berries! So tasty!

CookiePie said...

What a cool, creamy, yummy-looking pie!

Juliana said...

Nice pie...love condensed milk..so tasty...like the berries in it. Yummie yummie!

Aggie said...

Oh I wish I had a slice of that pie tonight!! It looks delicious! And easy is bonus!

Anonymous said...

Is nothing like on the summer day these beautiful pie not only looks good but also is delicious,thank Annie,bambola

Anonymous said...

Had this pie a few weeks back at a graduation celebration and every refreshing bite is simply indescribably delicious.