Saturday, July 04, 2009

A Day of Favorites!

It's summertime in New England and you know what that means. Or maybe you don't... But to me it means eating the regions specialties. Since Rhode Island is known as the Ocean State, that means seafood! You cannot live in this area and not get clam cakes and chowder (aka, chowda) at least once in the summer on the beach. It's obligatory! So my mom and I ended up at Iggy's Doughboys and Chowder House in Warwick. It is located right in Oakland Beach where you can enjoy the beautiful ocean without traveling all the way to South County. We had clam cakes and chowder and fish & chips. It was really good, but since my mom is my spokesperson I'll let her do the talking...



One day during my vacation I brought my mom out for some of her favorite things to eat. So of course that would include lobster. We went to Chelo's on the Waterfront in East Greenwich. They just happened to have a special going on that day; twin lobsters for $29.99. Not bad! And you can see her favorite drink to the left, a dry martini, no ice with a green olive. She usually adds a little water to it to dilute it a bit. There was a live band which were pretty good and we had a great time.

Of course the other summer must have in Rhode Island is homemade ice cream. We all have our favorites, but this time we ended up at an old favorite from years ago. In fact, it had been so long since I'd been that I wasn't even sure if they were still open. But to my delight, the Ice Cream Machine in Cumberland is still churning out some of the areas best ice cream!

It is located on Diamond Hill Rd. right across from Diamond Hill Park.


My mom had her favorite; pistachio.

Isn't she cute?

Hurry Mom get it before it melts!

There's just something about ice cream that brings the kid out in all of us!

It was a warm day and we had to eat pretty quickly because the ice cream was melting all over us! By the way, I had Butter Pecan with chocolate chip topping. They were sold out of my favorite; raspberry chocolate chip frozen yogurt :( But don't worry I enjoyed mine just as much and could have gone for seconds...

I hope you enjoyed this cook free/recipe free post! And I hope you are all enjoying your favorite things this summer!!

9 comments:

Unknown said...

Looks like y'all are having a good time. I just love your mom...she's too cute!

Unknown said...

Your mom is so cute :) And yay for good summer eats :)

Susan from Food Blogga said...

OMG, you're making me so homesick! Yes, your mom is adorable! Now I wish I was sharing a cone with my mom. :)

Emily said...

I DID enjoy this post! This looks like such a fun time. Your mom is such a cutie! I'm very hungry for ice cream now.

CookiePie said...

Lobster and pistachio ice cream - if there's a more perfect meal than that, I don't know it! And your mom is adorable - I love seeing her attack that ice cream!

Sara said...

Your mom is adorable! And everything sounds so delicious :)

How To Eat A Cupcake said...

OMG! OMG! Your mom is just the cutest!! :D :D

Anonymous said...

Everything was delicious the food,the view,the music and of course the ice was really good thank you Annie,bambola.

amycaseycooks said...

What a perfect day!